Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A tour on the streets of Florence


Today we went on our walking tour throughout all of Florence. Most of the places I had walked around before but I was not aware of all the history behind all the buildings and statues. A few of the places we saw was the column of St. Zenobius, the baptistery of St John the Baptist, and the Roman theater. I will post more of my pictures on facebook for all that are interested in seeing more of the tour.

I still very much have my cold. Hopefully it will be over before this weekend. I don't want to be sick while traveling! I just checked the room listing today and apparently I am living with 7 other girls. We are living in a hotel that has an 8 person room. How bizarre! At least I am friends with 3 of the girls in my room. It should be fun; I just hope the weather is good!

Me and my friend Cierra are going to go to the theater tomorrow after Italian class and getting our "Maggio" cards. Basically its this amazing deal for students where you pay just ten euro for the card, and for every ballet, opera, etc we only have to pay an additonal ten euro for each show. Talk about a deal!

Today we had the best lunch ever! We had gnocchi (which is like small potato dumplings) with tomato sauce. It was deliciouso! For our main course we had grilled chicken with herbs and green beans. For desert we had a yummy orange. I loved it!

Not much else is new. Lots of people went out to the bars/clubs last night but I am sick so I had to stay behind. It was a pretty lonely night for me; I can count the times on one hand that I have felt really homesick but last night was definitely one for me. As much as I love it here, sometimes its nice just to have the comfort of the familiar. I talked to several of my friends from the states yesterday and its hard to know they are so far away. I guess this really is a true learning experience though. Hard times, good times... you gotta have them both to grow right? I just have to stay positive.

One thing that is exciting is me and my friend Cierra are in the process of making a trip to France one of these weekends to visit my cousin Julie. I have never been to France, so I am pretty stoked about it. She said she would tell us all about the area and perhaps she will give us a few tours! We are thinking either Oct 24th weekend or Jan 30th weekend. Its nice being able to travel on the weekends. I can't tell you enough how great it is having Friday's off of school!

Well I am going to maybe get some journal entries in for my Ethics and Introduction to Florence class. Next week I have my first marketing test, hopefully its not too hard!

Keep in touch everyone!

Arrivederci!

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Love the photo of the DAVID; bet you were in the Plazza della Signoria as part of your walking tour. This one is a copy and the real one is housed in the Academia which we'll see with you in November! Can't wait.

Your trip to Cinque Terre this weekend sounds fabulous; you'll be hiking; no time for designer jeans and funky shoes; you'll need trek wear. :)

caroline hansen kleban said...

in 2000, i ate at a great restaurant directly across the street from the David... cannot remember the name but remember loving the food...