Thursday, October 16, 2008

My feet pain!!!


Today I am leaving around 3:40 to go to Sorrento with the Gonzaga Group. It is going to be quite the schlep there-- the bus is going to be over 6 hours. Yesh! I am sure it will be worth it though. We are going to be staying in cabins apparently. One thing that worries me is there is going to be lots of hiking. I love hiking, but my right foot is in SO much pain right now.

Let me explain... here in Florence we walk EVERYWHERE-- and when I say everywhere I mean it. I don't even have to worry about gaining any weight from the fatty Italian food because I burn it all on walking from place to place. This has been a bittersweet thing because although I am getting great excercise and get to explore Florence and other parts of Italy, my feet are definitely suffering. On opening tour I was dumb and wore my flip flops on a four hour walking tour and got pretty bad tendinitis in my left foot for a week or two. I ended up having to wear tennis shoes the rest of the trip, which was unfortunate because I am very much a "flats, sandals, and flip-flops" kinda girl. Well, I got over that, and I thought I was getting used to the constant walking, but lately after all the traveling, walking around Florence, and hiking my feet have been in so much pain. In both legs I often get shin splits (especially if I am walking at a quick pace) and as of last week my right foot now has gotten the tendinitis even worse than my other foot did on opening tour. This time it is not so much from flip flops, but the flats with no structure and support. I know its probably my own fault, but even when I wear my sturdy tennis or athletic shoes my foot still kills!

My mom suggests to take ibuprofen, and ice it (which I don't really have to access to) but that only mediates some of the immediate pain. It still is very painful to walk with shoes or without shoes, and all the time. This weekend trip is going to be filled with more moderate to difficult hikes and I hope I can make it without being in too much pain.. often times its a very sharp pain and depending on the shoe it can pretty excruciating. I think I might see the doctor next week because it is getting worse by the day (since last week).

Anyways, enough of that! I am done with classes for the day and I'm about to have lunch so I probably should get going, but again if you have any suggestions for topics for me to write about go for it!

**The picture above is from my tour yesterday to Santa Croce. This is where famous people such as Michaelangelo and Dante were burried!

4 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Just so you know, I went out yesterday and bought a pair of sensible (and not so cute) walking shoes so that I can walk all over Florence when I get there. I hate sore feet; it'll cramp your style for sure. Those flimsy flats are the worst for overuse injuries to your toes; about as bad as flip flop since you are forever (each step mind you) trying to keep the shoe ON by flexing your toes. You need a shoe where all you do is walk, move the leg one step ahead and don't have to work your toes!!!!
I hope you can make it through the weekend.

Rusty Mujer said...

It has been a treat reading about your adventures, challenges, explorations and day to day experiences. Sorry to learn about your foot pain and I hope that you can heal it quickly.

caroline hansen kleban said...

i remember visiting santa croce. i wish my honeymoon pictures were digital - i would send them to you. i have a great one of me and steve in front of santa croce. i also remember a scene in A Room With A View that took place in Santa Croce... Kitty you should watch that again before you leave...

MMH said...

Very much enjoying catching up on your adventures. Love all the details.