Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sorrento, Almafi, Capri, and Pompei


Hey everyone-

My weekend to Sorrento, Capri, Pompei, and Amalfi was amazing-- but lots of other things are going on right now in my life that has been making my study abroad experience less than enjoyable at times.

I do not like complaining all the time, especially when I am presented with this once in a lifetime opportunity but these past few days and even weeks really have been pretty emotionally stressful and draining dispite my chipper and upbeat blog posts. Many of you knew the room situation that me and my room mate Lillian went through this past month, but many other things have recently come into play. The deal with my foot has only gotten worse- I am pretty sure I have a stress fracture because it hurts to walk in any type of shoe regardless of padding, ointment, heavy socks, etc. I am hopefully going to the doc's tomorrow to get it checked out so we will see...

Also, the past few weeks my grandfather has not been doing well. He keeps having episodes of pnenumia, which can be very serious for the elderly. My g-pa is in his early 90's so any cold is a potential threat. He has been in and out of the hospital and right now he is staying in his adult family home with nurses that take care of his needs. Apparently he is having significant troubles with eating, and swallowing. He can no longer walk and he is very weak. This makes me very sad because I probably won't get to say goodbye if he passes away within the next few days, weeks, even couple months. :( I guess I just have to pray and know that this is in God's hands and not my own. Its just hard when all these things come at once.

Things within my pensione are still not getting fixed either-- such as the internet which we are paying 30 euro for a month (and still have not gotten). It still takes about 3 mins to load a page on a good day, and skype is only as good as texting and not conversations on the phone.

As far as the weekend-- it was fabulous but hard to enjoy with my foot being in constant pain. I went on one of the optional hikes on Friday which probably wasn't the best choice but I knew I would have to miss out on the challenging hike the next day so I thought I would "wing it". It just made it worse-- oh well. The weather was really nice this weekend and it was a bit different because we ended up traveling most to the surrounding islands by either a large ferry or small boat. Today we went to Pompei and had an audio tour of the archaelogical site. This past weekend we stayed in little cabins in Sorrento. This experience was a bit more rustic than the past few weekends but it was nice.

I'm sorry I don't have much else to say-- lots are on my mind and I'm sure you can gather a lot of what I did through my albums on facebook. I hope you like the ones I have posted on here!

I will write later!


* The picture was taken from the little boat ride from Sorrento to Amalfi Coast. Gorgeous, huh?

1 comment:

CaShThoMa said...

Four wonderful weekend trips in a row and now a few weekends off. Sounds like a great trip. Hope your foot improves; gotta be able to walk, right?

My love to you. These are challenging times being so far from home when "stuff" keeps coming up.

You've always got the great memories though!