Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A visit to the Cathedral Museum by the Duomo


Today, me and my Introduction to Florence class went to the Cathedral Museum (Duomo). It was interesting to see the history behind the historical building. For those of you who have not seen the Duomo, it is hands down the most beautiful structure in Florence (at least in my opinion). I was a little bummed because I forgot to put my memory card in my camera so I was not able to take many pictures, but I am sure I can look up things online.

My favorite piece in the museum was the Pieta, which was created by Michealangelo. According to Wikepedia, The Deposition (also called the Florentine Pietà, the Pietà del Duomo or The Lamentation over the Dead Christ) is a marble sculpture by the Italian High Renaissance master Michelangelo. The sculpture depicts four figures – the dead body of Jesus Christ, newly taken down from the Cross, Nicodemus (or possibly Joseph of Arimathea), Mary Magdalene and another, incomplete, female figure – rather than Mary in mourning with the body of Christ on her lap, which is standard fare for a pietà. The sculpture is housed in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo in Florence. I am attaching a picture of it with my blog entry.

I am going to see the David statue next month with my parents at the Academia. I am very excited!

Not much else is going on today- I am going to be studying for midterms and fixing up my ethics essay which is either due tomorrow or Friday. Thanks mom for looking over it! Later tonight I am going to my first Opera which is the La Boheme. It should be very interesting! The operas here go on for a lonngg time though. It starts at 8:30 and then we will not be getting back till close to one! I am stoked though; I get to dress up! I think me and some friends will take a taxi because my foot still hurts, and that way we can be decked out in heels, dresses, etc.

The foot feels quite a bit better today with the meds. It still hurts to walk, but its not as sharp of a pain. My friends like calling me gimpy... so nice ha ha.

Well I am off to lunch- I wonder what it is today! I am starving.

Talk to you later!

BTW thanks Chris for the postcard! I loved it!

2 comments:

Rusty Mujer said...

I am more than a bit envious about your foray to the opera! I love the opera but have never actually seen one - let alone to be going to the opera in Italy! Fabulous. I enjoy reading about your adventures - onward and upward!

MMH said...

Wonderful that you are going to the opera. I saw my first opera at Indiana University with Aunt Mary and Uncle Wiff when I spent time with them during a college break.
And you are actually seeing all the art that I studied about as a junior in college - I saw slides of these sculptures and you are seeing the real thing. Enjoy.