Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dining in Firenze


So I have a random hour in between my Italian class and lunch so I thought Id post another quick blog entry...

I think the change of style in my blog posts is favored among my readers, am I right? I would love some more comments with your feedback! I got a suggestion yesterday to talk about the restaurant differences between Italy and America. I think I might have touched base on this topic at some point in previous entries, but I will dedicate a post that highlights some main observances I have made thus far in my trip.

First of all, when you go to a restaurant you are often presented with the option of "self service" or sit down. I was confused for the longest time on what "self service" meant exactly, but basically it means that you go up to the counter, pick up your food right then and there and either take it to go or you can sit down at a nearby table. Sometimes you have the option to sit in the restaurant portion, and it is usually a bit nicer seating and has more decor. The menu is often similiar, but it is significantly more expensive, and you are usually given bread (il pane) before your meal. The bread is usually included in the cover charge, which is anywhere from 2 to 4 euros depending on how nice the restaurant is. The cover charge generally replaces the tip that we would give in America. It is sometimes nice not to worry about doing the math that goes along with a tip, but at the same time if the service is less than acceptable I get frustrated I have to pay the cover charge. Especially if they do not even offer us bread!

Drinks are a whole different topic. Wine is commonly ordered for an entire group at a table either in 1/2 liters or full liters. (it's way cheaper than by the glass). Also, most of you know that in Europe you have to pay for water (or in Italiano acqua minerale). There are two types of water that you can choose from in Italy on a regular basis: natural water and "fizzy" water (which is just like sparkling water). Normally I just say con no frizzate (which means with no FIZZ). If you order water during dinner, you are usually given a glass bottle of water and generally you split it amongst the people at your table. It is usually around 2 to 3 euro per bottle. I find this pretty annoying because it seems like they will charge you for every possible thing they can in Europe. Customer service is definitely not their aim in most of Europe. They realize that us tourists are often desperate and will go through drastic measures to get we want. For this reason, the waitors do not normally come around your table mid meal and ask how your food is. It makes sense though because they are not really working extra for a tip. They usually just offer you minimum service where you have to ask for EVERYthing. Dont get me wrong, the food is amazing! It just comes with its pros and cons.

Thats about it for the dining topic. If you guys have any other comments or observations feel free to post it in the comment section!

I miss you all very much!

4 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Hey, thanks for the insight. We'll be prepared for these differences when we get to Florence in a few weeks. Great post.

How about a post about using your Italian and if people understand you or not?

Or do most people speak some English. As someone who speaks zero Italian, I am hoping to be understood (at least a bit!).

caroline hansen kleban said...

i remember being in italy and ordering and paying for coffee at the counter and then going to sit down and getting yelled at because there are different prices depending on if you stand or sit...

Carolyn said...

I loved this post! One of the things that irked me was paying for bread that wasn't all that good. The other thing I found was that it was difficult to get a good, cheap breakfast - even a pastry or roll with some kind of drink could cost 6 euro, which at the time was about $9 - no thank you! Finally, Mitch loves Diet Coke and it was just SO expensive in Italy. We must have spent $300 on Diet Coke over the course of our trip :)

MMH said...

very interesting. Glad to be back reading your blog again. So sorry about your foot. Hope you get an X-ray and a doctor's opinion. Sounds like you need to take extra care of that foot.