Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Uffizi visit with my parents

Today was a cloudy and rainy day in Florence. While I was in class, my parents walked all over town and went to Santa Maria Novella, the Santa Marco Museum, and a few other places. They definitely were on their feet all day!

My parents and I met up around 2:30 at their hotel and we walked over to the Uffizi Museum where we had reservations at 3:00. They recommended you to reserve spots to get into the Museum so that you can avoid the long lines that are formed outside the museum. It was definitely a good call! We walked right in and were on our way. My dad had his little Rick Steves book again, so he followed that throughout the large museum, and I listened to the audio version of the Rick Steves tour on my mom's ipod. She listened to it the night before so she could have a bit of the background before looking at all the artwork. I was very thankful to have the audio guide because it kept me from getting distracted (ha ha) and also it focused in on the highlights of the museum and the main pieces that are famous and have the most character.

After we walked around the museum for a good long time, we went into the bookstore and I got some postcards of my favorite pieces, as well a minature poster of my favorite painting called "Birth of Venus" by Botticelli. This piece is extremely well-known- but I was just struck by the colors and how the artist put all of them together so beautifully. I attached a picture of the piece :)

Anyways, we walked back and my parents got some overpriced, but very yummy gelato, and we took a couple pictures by the Duomo on the way back. Above is a picture of me and my mom in front of the Duomo. Even though I have been here for a couple months, I am still in awe of the church every time I am in front of it. It is absolutely beautiful!

So yesterday night me and Chris (bf) talked on the phone for quite awhile and we are starting to formulate his plans for his visit in February. I am so excited to see him! Its been way too long! He is going to leave Seattle in the early afternoon on Feb 1st (which I believe is a Sunday) and he will arrive in Florence around noon the next day (Mon). This is the same flight my parents took I believe... and then we are planning to go to Barcelona, Spain that next weekend. After my classes get out on Thursday we are going to leave, and then we will most likely get back on Sunday afternoon/early evening. I am stoked! Then he will go back home on Tuesday. It should be a nice trip.

By the way, I installed my web cam (thanks to my bro!) so for those that are interested in skyping with me and the web cam, I am down! :)

Well I am going to get ready for bed, its almost midnight here.

Buonanotte!

1 comment:

CaShThoMa said...

Yes, that was a fun day. The gelatto, although good was not 12 Euro good. OY.