Monday, September 15, 2008

Prague; what a gorgeous city!


Wow! I cant believe opening tour is almost over. This whole experience has been absolutely amazing so far. I am now just excited to get to Florence and be able to settle into my Pensione! In a couple hours we are going to meet in the hotel lobby and going to deal with the whole stressful "lottery" situation to draw pensiones (hotels) that determine where we will live. The lottery number that was given is based on how fast the student turned in their paperwork. I am number 37 on the list of about 72. I figure that's pretty good. All the pensiones are equally nice, so I'm not too worried about that. I'm just worried the double rooms will run out, and I will have to live with someone random. That's about the worst that could happen though. I am going to live with my new friend Lillian Haines, who is actually a student from Trinity University in Texas. She is a sociology major and she is from Alabama. The only problem with our rooming situation is she is a semester only student and I am for the year, so I will probably just live with some random student that is coming in January for the second semester. I was hoping I could switch pensiones half-way through the year, but apparently it's illegal for you to switch pensiones. Who knew! So yeah.. thats the deal with that.

Today is our last full day in Prague. This morning was pretty hectic because I thought I set my alarm for 8:40 on my new international cell phone, but it turns off I did not set it properly. My room-mate came back from the gym around 9:40 and woke me up saying, "didn't you want to go on the Jewish tour at 10?" I frantically jump out of bed and get ready in record speed. Like seriously, threw up my hair, barely put on any makeup and I was out the door in like 5 mins. I was able to run down to the buffet and grab a crossiant and piece of toast and called it a day. We all got tickets for the subway and we walked to the Jewish Synagogue exhibits where we were able to take a self-walking tour through about 5 of the old synagoges. They are soo gorgeous! Too bad we aren't allowed to take any pictures indoors. Thats a bummer.. . Oh well. I took a lot of pictures outside the synagogoes and of course of the architecture all around Prague. For those of you who have access to facebook, you should really check out all the new albums I have created of my Europe trip so far. I am going pretty picture crazy so there all all sorts of them on there. Anyways.. after the walking around the synagogues with my friends Lillian and Cierra, we were getting pretty hungry so we went to this cute little cafe called Monarch. I had the special which was this grilled chicken dish with fries. We all got a glass of red wine too. I am still not a fan of wine, but I am slowly acquiring a taste. My friends all tell me it takes awhile to start liking it, so they suggest to to have it only at meals. All I know was the wine we had was super strong. Gotta start somewhere though, right? :)

Its nice having some down time right now. I purchased the internet for an entire day for like 15 bucks so thats not too bad. Im glad I will have free wireless internet in my pensione in Florence. Its hard to believe classes are going to be starting in just a few short days! I still have to get all my school supplies.

Well thats about all I have to say right now. I think after the lottery for the rooms I am going to go shopping again at this little "200 stores" location which is just a few subway stops away. I went there briefly yesterday with my friend Lillian after giving up on trying to find the big GIF group for the optional church tour. Of course we went again to our favorite store, H & M and I spent too much money haha. I heard they don't have H & M in Florence though, so better stock up now! We only had time to go to that store, so we are going to go back later tonight and perhaps get some dinner after we are all "shopped" out. Other than that, I'm not sure what the whole group is doing. A few days ago we went to this famous "5 story club" that had great dancing! It was probably the funnest club I've ever been too. Rumor has it we may all go back tommorow because we can sleep in tommorow. My flight leaves for Milan around 3 pm and the other students are leaving around 7 pm. I think the drive from Milan to Florence is about 3 hours so its going to be pretty late before we all get in. I hope my luggage arrived safely!

Well I will post later!

Arrivederci!

3 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Sounds like fun in Prague.
Love your blog.
Keep writing!!

PS How ever are you going to fit all your new H/M clothes into the overstuffed backpack? Oh, yeah...I forgot; you have that small carry on to add to the mix. Hah!

Mary said...

Sounds like you are really getting the hang of traveling in Europe...good for you! Living situations can be rough but you never know it may work out better than you ever anticipated.

I also agree with your friends, that drinking wine with food is the best way to go. Wine goes with food and may not go to your head as much with a full belly of pasta :D

Safe travels!

MMH said...

Well, it just all sounds wonderful. Especially dancing at the club. Hope you find places like that in Florence too. Prague is supposed to be romantic and beautiful. Want to see your photos.