Sunday, September 21, 2008

What a productive day!


hi everyone!


I am sitting in an empty classroom right now at the Gonzaga campus and I'd thought I'd just share whats been going on the past few days. The room situation is getting a little better because they fixed the door and brought in a little mini trashcan for our bathroom. But our shower still leaks (even after Giuseppe said he fixed it) and our "desk" that he brought in is a small end table that barely holds our books. I think me and Lillian are going to take turns using the big desk for schoolwork. Next week is my week to use it, and then we will alternate and she will have it the following week. Whatever works, right? I think we are both going to be doing most of our homework in the library or at little cafes around because the lighting in our room is terrible. There is just one small dangling lamp from the ceiling and it is super dark at night. Hopefully they can add more light to it, because it kind of feels like a jail cell at the moment... haha


Today was a pretty productive day for the most part. I slept in until around 10:30 and then me and Lillian got an early lunch at this little cafe in the city square. We had gnocchi with tomato sauce and a coke light. Super yummy! After that we walked around and got some money from an atm and went to this little store that had cute shoes, scarves, headbands, purses, etc. Everything was really cheap too! I got these little cute black flats, an umbrella, and a black headband for only 15 euro. What a deal! After that we went to the 99 cent euro store for like the 4th time. The guy that works there chuckles whenever we come in because we go there so often. Finally he asked, "Studi a Firenze?" "Si! Studiamo a Gonzaga University." Its nice being able to use some of my Italian. I hope I can continue to pick the language up quicker just being around everyone who speaks it fluently! I was telling my mom earlier today on the phone that its kinda a tricky situation using the Italian because if you greet someone and start speaking Italian, they will start speaking really fast and I cant keep up. So then I usually have to switch to English, which makes me feel dumb haha. Oh well, at least I'm trying, right?


After lunch we got our dirty clothes and took it to a local laundromat. I was able to get some of my ethics reading out of the way while blasting enya. We were there for a little over an hour because the washer and dryer each take about half an hour. There were so many GU students there with the same idea! Its a bummer not having a laundry machine in our pensiones, but that doesnt really surprise me... we have like nothing there to begin with haha. After our laundry was taken care of, we came back to our room and for like two hours I unpacked, organized, and cleaned up our room. For the past few days I have been living out of a suitcase because I didnt have anywhere to put my stuff! Luckily we were able to go to IKEA yesterday and get storage stuff and hangers. It was such a hassle getting to IKEA though! We had to walk about a mile and a half at least to the train station, and then take a bus from there. It was really hard walking back with a huge storage bin, hangers, a towel, comforter, and pillow. Whew! I am definitely sore today after schleping all that stuff.


Now that everything is unpacked and settled I immediately feel better. We are planning on doing more decorating in our room, but its getting there!


Well I have more Aristotle to read so I best be going, but I will try and post tommorow!


Arrivederci!

4 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Glad to know the food is good and the trip to IKEA successful. Now, it's just the INternet you're waiting for....hopefully soon.

Hey, just a thought...let us know about the pictures you're posting. Are they close to your pensione? On the walk to GU or other?

Always interested!!

Love, mom

Sharon said...

I regularly read your mom's blog and found your blog through her's. I am enjoying reading about your escapades in Europe. Your sense of humor will do wonders for all that you encounter - keep smiling!

Mary said...

Who knew there were IKEAs world-wide? Glad you are getting settled!

Emily said...

Just curious as to where you are getting all this money to go out and buy things at all these shops! Guess Tully's paid well, lol.