Friday, September 19, 2008

The stress of sending the consulate letter


This is going to be a super quick post but I just wanted to say hello! I am just waiting in the computer lab at the Gonzaga campus until 11, and then me and all the other students are going to venture down to Alexandro's (a staff member on campus) office to get a reciept that indicates that our consulate letter was sent. This morning I tried to get up around 8 am, but me and the roomie were just not wanting to get up. We are so sleep deprived! We hit the snooze button a couple times and then decided right then and there that we would get up at 8:30 instead. At that point we were pretty pressed for time so we got quickly out of bed and got ready in about fifteen minutes. We then went to the little cafe next to our pensione for a quick breakfast. We both got chocolate crossiants and then booked it to the Gonzaga Campus where we all were going to gather and pick up our packets and then walk together to the post office. As we were approaching the entrance, two of my frazzled peers told us that they had to go back to their pensione to collect their passports. I thought we had taken care of all the passport stuff, so I didn't have mine at the time as well. Soo basically I had to run back to my pensione and I luckily met two other students that forgot their passports as well. Who knew we needed them a second time?! Anyways, I hate the feeling of being rushed and plus it was rainy which was not pleasant.

We quickly walked back and met up with the other students to get our packets to send off to the consulate. This was an exhausting process because there are about 120 students and each person got a number from the post office that indicated where we stood in line. I was 62, so I had a good 45 minutes of just standing in the rain before I could drop off my letter. They have to stamp your letter and envelope several times and check your passport just to make sure its you that is sending the packet. I didn't realize everything was so official!

I only have a few minutes until I have to go downstairs but just wanted to drop a line in to all those back home!! Im not sure what my plans are the rest of the day. Its so nice having Fridays off though, I cant tell you enough! I am excited for my traveling starting next weekend. We are going to Elba, which is a volcano off Florence. Sounds super fun! Well keep in touch everyone. I will try to check my skype today, so feel free to leave voicemails!

Arrivederci!

1 comment:

CaShThoMa said...

This "inefficient" process of standing in line, getting things stamped, and other seeming endless steps in the process of getting yourself "official" reminds me of Aruba. We always had experiences like this; it comes with the territory I guess.

Glad to know you have a three day weekend to "play" in your new home. Enjoy Florence!