Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A beautiful Tuesday afternoon


Hello all!

Today has been a fabulous day. The weather outside is absolutely gorgeous and classes weren't too bad. I had four classes today; similar to my schedule yesterday without the three hour Global Economics class. Today we had a great lunch; it was some sort of vegetable pasta soup (kind of like minestrone) and bread. I loved it! It was a nice alternative to the pasta that we are usually served before our main course. The main course I wasn't fond of because it was pork chops. I never touch it, as my grandma says. I ended up just having some of the potatoes on the side. It was definitely enough though because I got seconds on the soup. For desert we had really ripe peaches which were amazing! I guess you can just say the food in our pensione is either a hit or miss.

Today I followed up with Dean Burke and he agreed that Il Paligio is a disaster. He evaluated the pensione with Giuseppe and he shared his concerns about the rooms. Come to find out me and Lillian's room is the smallest one in the entire program! That includes all the pensiones that Gonzaga is renting out. Boy, aren't we lucky! Haha. Anyways, Dr. Burke said that we have the option to move to another room if we so choose. Now, this would be a hassle and a half but we are truly unhappy with our living conditions as you may know after keeping up with my blog. We talked to Shelly (another Student Life employee at Gonzaga) and we told her that if there is space available, we would like to switch rooms and pronto! Hopefully everything works out... another thing that has increased rapidness of changing rooms is the fact that there is mold growing in our room. Gross I know, but apparently Lillian is very allergic to it. She has been coughing, sneezing, and wheezing for days and she is always exhausted. Poor thing! We alerted the pensione owner and he cleaned it himself, but there is still some remnants of mold throughout the room. Either we get a humidifier or we are out! Haha.

Today seems like it is going to be a pretty chill evening. I have a marketing assignment to do, and some reading for economics that I can get a head start in, but other than that I am golden. I guess I could brush up on my prepositions for my Italian class because we are playing a little game tomorrow in class. Tomorrow my Introduction to Florence group is meeting at the school at 8:30 am and we are heading over to the Archaeological Museum and getting a tour by either our teacher or one of her assistants. I love this class! We have lectures about the history of Florence twice a week (which is very interesting by the way), and then on Wednesdays every week we go to a different museum to look at the artwork that we have been studying in class. In addition to our tours, we are to write two journal entries a week. One entry must talk about our experience and thoughts about the tour from that week and the other entry talks about our experience going abroad on the weekends. Most students will be going on the first six weekend trips Gonzaga offers, but she would like us to journal about any particular place we go to on the weekends if we decide not to join the Gonzaga group. I am actually excited about this assignment; it will be fun to talk about my thoughts about all the tours I am going on and adding postcards and pictures will make it unique. I think it will be a great memoir of my studying abroad experience after I leave.

Anyways, I am rambling but I just wanted to jot down my thoughts for the day. I do not have much else planned for the day except my homework and dinner is at seven as usual. Hopefully tomorrow I can finally get another straightener! I have been going through withdrawals as sad and pathetic as that may sound.

Well I will post again tomorrow!

Arrivederci!

Note: Above is a picture of me and my room mate Lillian in Prague!

4 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Ok...the mold is the bit of information that tips the balance in huge favor of getting out of that room in Il Palagio. Some mold is TOXIC and you need to move on! OUT!

Love to hear about the classes and the trips to the museums. Immersion in culture; yeah!

Mary said...

Nice that you are able to use all of your many talents and resources to square away another room. Good luck with that!

I wish i was in the Intro to Florence class...sounds amazing!

MMH said...

Good for you - get a new room. Remember the movie "Room With a View" and the line "This is not what we were led to expect!"? Sounds like your first room to me.

Sharon said...

Good news about getting a new room, hopefully mold-free. The move will go quickly once you get started, and it will be worth the trouble.