Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A weekend in Elba and a new room!


I hate to admit it, but I have been having blogger withdrawals! I have constantly been thinking about all the things I want to blog about, but I have just been so busy that I haven't had a chance to just sit down and write about all the fun things that I experienced over the past weekend.

As most of you know, me and most of the Gonzaga crew went to Elba Island. Let me tell you, it is so beautiful! The weather was gorgeous the entire short trip. We thought it was going to be in the low 60's, and it ended up being way warmer so we were able to sit out and catch some sun rays at the beach.

I ended up ditching the tours/hike that Gonzaga offered on Saturday. Me and my friend Cierra wanted to do our own thing on Saturday so we went down and talked to the hotel receptionist and she gave us a map and suggested several places to see on our own self-created walking tour. We decided to go on a little trek to a pretty large beach. The hike was pretty much all up hill by stairs and then it coasted off for awhile. The views from the top were so pretty! We then went down the hill and ended up at a breath-taking beach. We sat out and talked for a few hours and then were so hot that we decided to just jump in the water! It was so refreshing.

After awhile my friend Katie met us down at the beach and we hung out for a little while longer and had some pasta at a local restaurant. Once we had enough sun, we walked back and went shopping at the local stores. Elba is famous for turquoise, so I got a pretty wrap-around bracelet, and a simple necklace. Oh! And I got some really cute earings :)

The one bummer part of Elba was the night life was totally lacking. Even at the bars there was like no one... and there were no clubs of course. We just ended up making our own fun. On Saturday it was my friend Emma's 21st Birthday, so we had a nice Italian dinner and then my other friend Annie coordinated cake and champagne at a local bar called "Las Vegas". It was pretty fun, but the music could've been better. They were playing slow ballads that practically made us fall asleep..

On Sunday morning I woke up with a bad sore throat and stuffy nose so that wasn't so great. This has been going around though for quite some time so I was bound to get it. One of my room mates in Elba had a terrible cough, and I was also hanging out with Cierra who was recovering from a really bad cold. After I described my symptoms to her she said that is exactly what she started off having. She then added, "just wait till the nasty cough!" Oh boy...

Well I probably should be going to bed. I talked to my mom via skype messenger and she used the phrase "G2B" haha which means GO TO BED! Me and Lillian are all moved into our new room. It is great! It is much more spacious and the toliet doesnt growl! The only bizzare thing is our shower; it pretty much takes up the whole bathroom! I guess it is an Italian style where the drain is in the middle of the room. I wonder if the whole bathroom floor will be soaked after we take a shower. We will soon find out! The drain is slightly slanted downwards so perhaps it seperates part of the floor from getting wet. All we need now is a little more lighting, and a second desk. We are definitely way more happy with our living situation now though, and the best part is NO MOLD!

Well I will try and post tomorrow. I have lots of journal entries to make up for classes but I will keep you posted! Feel free to call my skype! It is up and running even though the internet is super slow :)

Love you all!

*Note* The first picture is of me and Cierra on the beach in Elba and the second is a scenic view from our little hike to the beach! :)


2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Aha...I love it.
You say, "I have been having blogger withdrawals! I have constantly been thinking about all the things I want to blog about...."

You've caught the bug.

Keep writing; we love to hear all the news and see the pictures.

Elba sounds great. I guess you weren't into hearing about the history, huh? Napoleon and all?

Sharon said...

I'm taking notes on all the places to go in Italy. Elba sounds like a must-see.