Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Bear"


I thought that I would take a break from my intense writing and homework sessions to reflect on a dear friend that has been with me through it all...

Yes, I am talking about a stuffed animal, if you could even call it that.

I bought this little, skinny bear many years ago during my younger years on a visit to Victoria, Canada with my family. I remember walking into a gift shop at the glamorous Empress Hotel and there on display was a collection of small, delicate bears on a table emeshed with other various creatures. My mom was eagerly awaiting for consent for departure when I excitedly told her, "Mom, this bear is talking to me... I must have it! Look how sad he looks?" This was a common phrase for this day in time; animals and other similiar items used to "talk" to me subconsciously as if they were begging for a home and good caretaker. My mom tried to shrug this idea out of my mind because not only was he $17.00 (yes, I remember the price), but he was plain, and far from the most cute and cuddly bear around. I explained that this was exactly why he needed a home... no one wants him and he needs to be loved and nutured. My mom paused for a moment and then smiled in approval and proceeded to the check out to purchase my new best friend.


As I was walking the streets of classic streets of Victoria I immediately had a special bonding moment with my new found friend. My mom asked, "what are you going to name him?" I immediately responded, "bear." For the name "bear" appears simple and almost boring, yet I knew that the story behind this creature was far from dull. From then on, when people asked why I named my beloved friend such a common, uncreative name, I had an excuse to tell my story of how we first met.

Sometimes it is the simple comforts that create the most happiness in life. As you can see, bear is far from beautiful and out of the ordinary, but his presence in my life till this day has been quite beautiful and monumental.

Bear is with me even today and will continue to be with me whereever I go. Often when I temporarily loose him I feel that a part of me is missing.

I love bear <3

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Oh,my....."Bear". I love bear; a keeper, a confidante, an eternal friend and the skinniest, craziest looking little fella I've seen.

Bear.....

Can't wait to see both of you; less than a month!!!

Mary said...

Reminds me of the story of Cordoroy...some bears or other stuffed animals just call out to you. Glad bear is with you during your travels!