Monday, February 16, 2009

Paris remarks



Hey everyone!





Sorry its been so long since I lasted posted. Things have been super crazy here between traveling, schoolwork, and Chris visiting last week.

I thought instead of talking about my most recent trip (France to see my cousin!) I would start with where I left off. A recap of Paris...

I went to Paris with my good friend Cierra and we left on Thursday after classes and stayed until late Sunday afternoon. We had a lovely time all together. We had really fun filled days while we were in Paris because we were trying to fit everything in during a short amount of time.

One thing that is super annoying about Ryan air (the budget airline) is that although the fares are relatively cheap, they tend to take you to the most ridiculous airports that are super far from the actual city. Our travel plans consisted of a train to Pisa for an hour, a short flight to Paris, and then a relatively long bus ride into the city center of Paris, and then a subway to our hostel. For these reasons, it was pretty late once we got into Paris so we pretty much grabbed a bite to eat at a local grocery store, and went to bed at our hostel.

The next day I got up and had Breakfast at the hostel while studying for my test that following Monday in Management and Organization. One of my favorite memories of Thursday was going to the Museo d'Orsay which had a lot of artwork including some of Picasso's famous pieces. After the museum, we decided to get a bite to eat at a local cafe and I had a turkey sandwich which would've been amazing had there not have been mustard seeds... it was an intense taste and I hate mustard haha. I also had some apple juice, which is pretty much my favorite juice out there ;).

After our lunch we decided to head over to the Louvre. It was another hugee museum! Because we were a bit "museumed out" after the Museo D'Orsay earlier in the day, we decided to see just a few of the main pieces and call it a day. These include the Mona Lisa of course, and Venus de Milo (the statue with no arms), and Hamarabbi's code (which was significant to me because I wrote an essay about it last year in History class).

Once we saw enough of the museum, we decided to go to the Notre Dame church and look around. This church was beautiful and very unique. I loved it! Before the church we got some Icecream at Haaigen Daas. We hadn't seen that icecream since the states! I think its from Germany though... hmm. After the church extravaganza, we headed back to our hostel and took a small break. After that, we headed towards the Eiffel Tower and unfortunately our directions were pretty far from the tower itself, but we managed to get there by the strobe lights in the sky (we went during the evening). We decided it would be fun to go all the way to the top, why not, right? And it was definitely worth it. My feet were freezing (I was dumb and wore flats) but other than that the sights were spectacular of the city. The rest of the evening we pretty much relaxed... and had a crepe with ham, egg, and cheese.

The next day we took a day trip to Versai... the campus was huge! There was room after room and many buildings to go into. One of my favorite places was Marie Antoinette's house. I definitely took a lot of amazing pictures while I was visiting. You guys should check them out on facebook if you get a chance (I finally caught up on uploading them all). After our day trip, we went to a performance at the Moulin Rouge. Before the show, we got a chocolate and banana crepe for dinner, which was good at the time, but our stomaches were mad at us later because of how rich and unhealthy they were haha. Anyways, the performance was definitely not what I expected, but it was still fun non the less. I was kind of thinking it was going to be like the movie, pretty old fashioned and what not, but there was a large variety of songs and eras. There was even a couple 80s songs thrown in there! We sat next to two couples, one of which were from Belgium and they spoke English so that was nice.

That next day we pretty much saw all the last minute things we didn't get to see from the couple days before. We took a few more pictures at Notre Dame, saw a church on the hill, and explored several subway stops that led to parts of the town with street vendors. I enjoyed a cup of tea, and bought a very cute white hat! We ended up sitting in a little cafe and studying for our tests later in the afternoon before we left for our flight. It was a pretty relaxing day until we almost missed our bus to the airport because we didn't realize we had to be there 2 hours before our flight left. It all goes to show that researching is super important! Luckily a staff member loaded the next scheduled bus at a faster pace, so we ended up making our flight just in the nick of time. The airport was super crowded too, and it was under reconstruction so there was no place to sit... I was definitely feeling pretty clasterphobic. After the bus ride, the flight, and then another bus ride from Pisa to Flo, we finally made it back around 2:30 A.M. AND I had a management and organization test the next day... whew! The busy life I lead....

and that pretty much concludes the recap of Paris! Let me know if you have any comments or questions!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

You visited all the places I hope to see some day. Sounds like a wonderful trip.