Thursday, January 29, 2009

Paris, here I come!

Yesterday's Soup Kitchen was quite the experience. Frederica walked us over (she is one of the student life faculty members) and she introduced us to all the people that worked there. For our first shift, we mainly just observed how they worked things and we handed out a bit of the food but we mostly watched. We served them bread, water, white or red risotto (tomato or Alfredo sauce), fish sticks, and apples. The people were pretty friendly, but most of them did not speak any English. This is a good time to use the Italian for sure!

We are going to be going once a week from here on out, and the shifts are only an hour long, although if we have time we might help out with two shifts in a row. Usually we get the extra food at the end, but this past time we didn't... the food looked scrumptious though! I probably won't be going next week because Chris will be here and you have to fill out all this paperwork before you can start volunteering.

Anyways... today I am leaving for Paris with Cierra. I am so excited to go to the Louvre, see the Eiffel Tower, and just be in France really; it will be my first time! I am going to France three times this semester. Paris, Southern France (to visit my cousin Julie and her family) and also I am going on another Southern France trip with my school. It goes to different places though so that's nice. When I am going to France again to visit my cousin, I fly into the Geneva airport because Julie only lives half an hour away from Switzerland. She is going to show us Geneva as well as her area. I am pumped!

Well I am off- but I will return late Sunday night and then Chris will be here the following day!

busy busy!

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Busy gal, indeed.
Enjoy Paris! Hope you see the famous Arc de Triomphe....when you do, imagine that I stayed there in 1970 with your grandparents on a side street within view of the Arc. We were there for Bastille Day in Paris and there was a lot of activity around the Arc. The Louve is wonderful too.

Take lots of pictures!

MMH said...

Have a very good time with Chris. Understand he is bringing a small suitcase of goodies. You'll be seeing Gaudi's work in Barcelona. I envy you. Tell me what you think of his architecture.