Monday, February 23, 2009

Venice



This past weekend I went to Venice with the school. I had a great time despite still battling from a bad cold. There was a huge number of us that went on the trip this weekend- 90! That is pretty much everyone in the program...

We were off to a bit of a late start on Friday because the bus drivers thought we wanted to be picked up at 4:00 P.M even though Peter clearly said 8:30 in the morning... oh well. After we left the drive was only about 3.5 hours... not bad! I slept, caught up on some studying, and read part of my new book and a Cosmo that my mom sent over with Chris when he visited in Florence.

We stayed about 25 minutes by ferry in a small town called Fusina. We stayed at a campground in small cabins, which actually ended up being pretty nice. However, it was pretty annoying that the power kept going on and off during the weekend. Once we arrived in Fusina on Friday, Georgina, Angie and I decided to stray away from the group because we wanted to take a shower and rest up a bit before exploring the city. Around 2:00 we caught the ferry to Venice. We walked all around the small city and peeped into various shops. Georgina and I were craving a Crepe (random huh?) and I embarked on a place called "Le Cafe" that was surely French. We ended up splitting a nutella crepe with banana and a bottle of Pino Grigio- yum! I think my mind was still a bit on France from the week before because how random is it that I was craving a crepe?! The rest of the evening I just relaxed and act some snacks that I got at a local grocery store.

Some of my favorite memories include looking at all the shops, seeing everyone dressed up (it was Carnevale weekend), and just exploring the small city. I got a gorgeous dark blue and turquoise Murano-style necklace while in Venice, and I am wearing it right now as we speak! I also purchased some post cards and a souviner for Chris (but I am not going to mention what it is on here).

I really liked the outside of St. Mark's Basilica- I didn't get a chance to go inside, but the outside was beautiful!

This weekend was so packed with tourists and natives of Venice because of the Carnevale. I wanted to buy a mask and "fit in" so to speak, but I knew that my pretty mask wouldn't last on the way home... it was much too fragile! They were pretty though (look at the picture on the left :0) ).

Anyways, most of Saturday I spent just exploring the city and wandering around and doing my own thing. There were optional tours to go on this weekend, but I wasn't feeling too well because of my cold, so I didn't want to be tied down in case I wanted to go back earlier than everyone else.

On Sunday we had to check out by 10 AM and then we had the option to go back into Venice one last time before we left at 3 PM. Georgina and I went into Venice for a few hours and just walked around the outskirts of the water and took pictures. We also got another lovely Crepe (I got a nutella and coconut- yum!) but this time it was from a little hut outside the main bridge in Venice. It was a pretty relaxing day! After we came back from Venice into Fusina, we decided to chill at the local restaurant/bar and study for our Management and Organization test that I took today. And in case you are wondering, I think I did a pretty good job! :-D

Well that is my recap of the weekend. I am going to Athens, Greece this weekend with Georgina.

Ciao!

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

Venice looks beautiful; have always wanted to go there. Interesting that you were there on Carnival Weekend (which is basically Mardis Gras).

Anonymous said...

oh man I'm sorry to read you skipped out on the mask because you were worried it wouldn't make it back, I brought one back when me and my dad went to Italy and I still have it. granted there is a small crack in it now but I'm pretty sure that happened in the mess of my old apartment and not on the trip back.