Friday, April 24, 2009

21st birthday

This past birthday was very different being in Italy. On April 21st I had my golden birthday because I turned the big 21!

In Europe it isn't really a big deal to turn 21 because the drinking age is 18. But I still made sure to go out and have a great time.

In the morning I had a philosophy test but the rest of the day was fun. I got surprised by my boyfriend Chris with a dozen roses! It was the sweetest thing! I have never seen roses that big before...

At lunchtime I also was surprised by a cake! Everyone sang to me also. It was an ice cream cake with berries. It was super yummy and I made sure to share it with everyone :). My mom asked Meredith, one of my good friends here to work with Karin to get a cake for me so I thought that was really nice.

During the day I mostly relaxed because I didn't have a final the next day like most people. Around 6:30 my friend Annie and I went to this ritzy bar called Art Bar and I got possibly one of the best drinks of my life! It was decorated with tons of fresh fruit. It was happy hour so the drinks were all 5 euro. Annie treated me to the drink too which was very sweet.





After our drink we met up with Cierra and Leanna at this famous Italian restaurant called Il Lattini. They normally like to just serve you tons of food (for 35 euro though!) so we asked for a menu. I got delicious Ravoli and my friends got the wild boar pasta. I tried that at another restaurant that my cousin recommended when I was with my parents in November. I liked it- but I didn't know if I wanted to have that be my main meal. We also had some red vino and oil and vinegar for our bread. For desert we had the common dish of biscotti and sweet wine. I actually wasn't a fan of it but I tried it at least.

The rest of the evening was pretty fun as well- I went to another bar after dinner and got a beer and then hung out at a pensione for a bit and called it a night. I am excited to celebrate my birthday "American style" when I get back into town! Only 2 more days!

2 comments:

CaShThoMa said...

You will always remember your 21st Birthday! Not many can say they celebrated it in Firenze. Very, very nice indeed.

We can't wait till you get home!!!

Sharon said...

A belated happy birthday and a warm welcome home!